Design & Technology
Subject lead: Mrs R Halstead
Design and Technology at St John the Evangelist Catholic Academy
“The role of the designer is that of a good, thoughtful host anticipating the needs of his guests.” –Charles Eames
Subject Leader – Mrs Halstead
DT has always been an interest of mine, the realisiation that I could have an idea and bring it to life through drawing, designing and then making it piqued my creativity as a child, finding out how things work, solving problems and making meals. In a world that is ever changing and the progress in technology continues to gather pace, DT is an exciting subject. Through DT I want to inspire the children to become the future designers, innovators and food technologists.
Our vision is that all our pupils will:
- Respond positively to a range of design briefs and build the confidence to develop innovative and challenging ideas.
- Analyse a range of products and evaluate the suitability and efficient uses of materials, techniques, mechanisms, tools and available resources.
- Take risks to use a range of technical equipment and tools; formulating a developed awareness of health, safety and hygiene.
- Confidently adapt ideas and make improvements through rigorous formative evaluation processes.
- Know factors affecting choice and availability of materials influenced by:- Social footprint; ecological footprint; aesthetic qualities; environmental, cost, social, cultural and ethical factors